When it comes to knowing how to put a wig on, there are a few different routes you can take to prep your head beforehand. However, it can be hard to know which method is best for you. In this post, we break down the best methods of how to put on a wig for a variety of hair lengths, so that you can choose which is best suited to you!
Putting on a Wig for Beginners
Now you’ve prepped your head or hair, it’s time to run through how to put a wig on:
- Hold your wig at the nape (where the label is) with both hands.
- With your head tilted forward slightly, position the wig above your eyebrows and slip the wig onto your head, starting from front to back in a forwards-backward motion.
- Now, push the front of the wig toward the back, until it’s placed slightly below your natural hairline.
- Using the ear tabs found on both sides of the wig, center the wig by placing the tabs in the front of the ears, but be sure not to cover them!
- Adjust the wig according to the kind of part you want to achieve – some wigs have pre-made partings that you can’t change, so you will have to play around with them until you get to your desired style.
- Secure your wig using wig tape, a wig grip headband, a silicon solution sheet, wig clips, or bobby pins to prevent your wig from slipping.
- Once you feel comfortable with your wig’s position, you can tidy the look by tucking in stray hairs, and voila! If the wig feels tight or too loose, use the adjustable tabs at the back of the wig to fit the wig to your head.